(meteorobs) A Man who Loved the Stars

Kim Youmans ksyo at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 21 16:32:42 EST 2004

Thanks for bring this to our attention, George.  I especially found the
following bit of Feibelman ingenuity quite amazing....(from obit)

...In addition to his unusual observations of Saturn, Mr. Feibelman
developed a unique and ingenious method for observing faint objects near
bright stars. Most astronomers would use a mirror to block the bright
object, so that its faint companions were easier to see. Mr. Feibelman,
however, would go into a photographer's darkroom and poke a hole in his
photographic film; after loading his camera, he would align the hole with
the bright star.

"He found a number of objects that way," Gatewood said. He was known for
that sort of out-of-the-box thinking....

Kim Y.