(meteorobs) URSIDS 12/22/04 UT from southern Maryland

tom6740 tom6740 at yahoo.com.cn
Sun Dec 26 03:06:19 EST 2004

It sounds interesting. When I went to Mt.Huo-lu to observe Perseids
and Mars last year, three policemen came and asked what I was
doing. "Observing Mars," I replied, then they looked through my 6"
refractor and said, "...great!". I enjoyed that night very much,
hahaha.

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Wilson" <meteorrr at w...>
wrote:
> Something very similar to that also happened to me Richard last
year.  Mine
> was a State Park Officer who chewed and spat tobacco and
investigated the
> inside of the van looking for who knows what.  I think he also was
a little
> puzzled by why some guy would be sitting out in the middle of
nowhere (sort
> of). He wanted to know if I had been drinking or not.  I told him
I didn't
> drink but I dont think he believed me.  I guess I should carry a
scope
> around with me just to make things more believable.
>
> Jeff W.

McKendree site at
> > 10:22 UT for a half-hour observation until 10:52 UT.  At that
point the
> dawn
> > was approaching and even more of problem were two Anne Arundel
County
> > (Maryland) Police officers who came to investigate a citizen's
report of
> > suspicious activity.  Yes, it was me.  No, I wasn't arrested,
but one cop
> > thought it was hilarious that a man would get out of a warm bed
to lie in
> > sleeping bag at 0 degrees Celsius and watch stars FOR NO
PAYMENT!!
> > Someone's tax dollars at work!
> >
> > I estimate only getting 20 decent, uninterrupted minutes of
observation
> out
> > of 30.  But, in that 20 minutes, I saw a -2 and two, +2 Ursids!
With the
> > advantage of this late posting and seeing Wes Stone's and Robin
Gray's