(meteorobs) Comet Machholz

Eric Bynum bynum_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 11:31:34 EST 2004

Dear meteorobs.org colleagues:
       In the latest meteor outlook for December, it is stated that full
moon occurred on 12/26.    This fact is the only reason that I am aware of
that could explain the lack of attention being given to the presence of this
comet in the vicinity of Orion.   I recall seeing an amateur astronomer's
photo taken from Austria showing a bluish gas tail & an orange to yellow
dust tail emanating from the comet's head.   I believe that this photo was
available from a link at http://www.msn.com/; unfortunately, I do not
remember the date on which that hypertext link appeared.   Now that the moon
is waning, perhaps Machholz will be visible in the southeastern sky at
northern latitudes after local sunset.   (At the time that the photograph
from Austria was taken, this phenomenon was described as being of fourth
magnitude.)

Eric Bynum, Independence, MO, USA
Bynum_9 at hotmail.com