(meteorobs) Comet Machholz

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 27 11:56:54 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:31:34AM -0500, Eric Bynum wrote:
> Dear meteorobs.org colleagues:
>        In the latest meteor outlook for December, it is stated that full
> moon occurred on 12/26.    This fact is the only reason that I am aware of
> that could explain the lack of attention being given to the presence of this
> comet in the vicinity of Orion.   I recall seeing an amateur astronomer's
> photo taken from Austria showing a bluish gas tail & an orange to yellow
> dust tail emanating from the comet's head.   I believe that this photo was
> available from a link at http://www.msn.com/; unfortunately, I do not
> remember the date on which that hypertext link appeared.   Now that the moon
> is waning, perhaps Machholz will be visible in the southeastern sky at
> northern latitudes after local sunset.   (At the time that the photograph
> from Austria was taken, this phenomenon was described as being of fourth
> magnitude.)

Yes. It's been visible to the northern sky for over a month now. It is also
about 4th magnitude and should be an easy naked-eye object after the moon
wanes a bit. There is a nice picture it and a nice meteor on the APOD a few
days ago at:

Also, there is a good finder chart at:

http://www.chagrinvalleyastronomy.org/c2004q2fc(12-04).jpg

Clear Skies,