(meteorobs) Re: Police & observing

Graham and Amy gramy at globe.net.nz
Tue Dec 28 03:39:24 EST 2004

Just thought I'd add my police story to the list...

For the July 2000 lunar eclipse, I had to chase clear skies and ended up
parked outside a truck wreckers yard in a rural area... I had a
station-wagon and the tail-gait was up as a dew shelter... About 2AM I found
myself surrounded by FOUR police cars complete with flashing lights and
screeching tyres... The leader of this squad leapt from his car, stared at
me for a second, then looked at the telescope, and finally gazed skywards...
The look on his face was priceless. They had been informed of two men
station-wagon... (Most likely me un-loading my scope...)

They saw the funny side of it, and one had a look through the scope before
vanishing almost as quickly as they appeared...

Oh, yeah. The eclipse was entertaining too... :-)

Graham.