(meteorobs) Fireball Report 6/26/04 10pm, McElhatten/Pennsylvania/USA (fwd)

namn at comcast.net namn at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 14:01:07 EDT 2004

From: NAMN Fireball Reports
Subject: Fireball Report 6/26/04 10pm, McElhatten/Pennsylvania/USA
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:16:21 +0000

----

Your Town/State/Country? McElhatten/Pennsylvania/USA

Date and Time? 6/26/04 10pm

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? NNW

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? SSE

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 10

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
40

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 20

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
Moon

Did it have any color(s)? White

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
4-6 objects which broke apart overhead, each object broke into several smaller
objects with glowed more brightly then disintegrated into sparks

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
No

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
1.5

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
no

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
McElhatten/Pennsylvania/USA

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
June 26, 2004 McElhattan, PA

I was attending a Blue Grass Festival in McElhattan in central PA. Sometime between 9 pm and 11pm ( I am sorry I cannot be more precise) I saw what appeared at first to be a formation of 5 to 6 planes. The objects appeared from the Northwest travelling to the south east, They took approximately 10 seconds to cross the sky. As the objects passed overhead they began to breakup into brighter, short lived objects.

When I saw the objects I began to point and shout for everyone to look up. Hundreds of people saw the display. The next morning their were rumors at the festival of space junk causing the display. After hearing and seeing no news reports of spectacular space junk I checked the Internet when I returned home. I found that he time was right for the Bootids which are characterized by relatively slow moving and sometimes spectacular displays.

I am curious if others saw similar displays this year or if we just got lucky.
Thanks, Kevin Kesler