(meteorobs) Re: South Delta Aquarids - what is known?

Koen Miskotte k.miskotte at wxs.nl
Sat Jul 3 06:09:09 EDT 2004

> The last year we had seizing history. The group of the schoolboys has
> observed meteoric storm SDA (within several day)! However I watched this
> surprising meteor shower as well has refuted this message. It were the
> absolutely not purposeful observations. Each schoolboy noted a meteor and
> added it to meteors, which saw others...

Hello Sergey and Lew,
Last year I observed the southern Delta Aquarids from the Greek island Crete. There I logged 45,19 hours, ending up with 1372 meteors. During the maximum night 28/29 july I had hourly counts up to 36 SDA's (teff 1,2 hour), the highest rates I ever had seen from this stream. . Calculations give a ZHR of 40 and also the hours before and after that period gave high numbers of SDA. Suprisingly, other observers who observed at the same solar longitude observed (much) lower rates of SDA.
I have seen the SDA's from southern locations in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1993, 2001 and 2003. The other years (my first year with observations was 1980) I observed them from The Netherlands, but due to low radiant elevation the results from my home country are poor.
An overview of my observations and results from Crete are published on my website: http://home.planet.nl/~misko002/calc1.htm

Regards,
Koen Miskotte
http://home.planet.nl~misko002/