(meteorobs) Why do some meteors appear to zig-zag?

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Wed Jul 7 17:55:32 EDT 2004

Thanks for a very enlightening follow-up (as usual), Marco.

BTW, MexicoDoug, I also found your post interesting - although it does raise
questions in my mind at a couple of points. For one, I noticed that the reports
you cite mention "sounds" heard during the fireballs witnessed: though there
is good evidence now that simultaneous or "electronphonic" sounds are in fact
real observable phenomena, I have never heard any potential mechanism for
these sounds, which would allow a rotating meteoroid to result in "wavering"
or otherwise changing sound heard simultaneously on the ground... Does anyone
else have any information on this particular point?

In fact, if anything, the fact that these sounds are mentioned in the reports
cited, might SEEM to indicate that the reporting observers were either:
 a) reporting something much closer to them than a meteor, e.g., fireworks;
or,
 b) very "suggestible", in their recollections of what they observed.

In any case, thanks to all who have posted so far on this thread: during the
times between major showers, it's always interesting to bring up these old
chestnuts from past years' debate on 'meteorobs'. :)

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer