(meteorobs) Why do some meteors appear to zig-zag?

Terry Richardson richardsont at cofc.edu
Thu Jul 8 16:49:50 EDT 2004

Richard et al,

  in regards to your comment about the fragments diverging from the
breakup of a meteor, that is exactly what is to be expected. the center
of mass, which of course we cannot, see would follow along the original
path while the fragments would diverge from the center of mass
according to their respective momenta (mass times any excess velocity
acquired because of the breakup.

Clear skies,

Terry Richardson
Department of Astronomy