(meteorobs) Why do some meteors appear to zig-zag?

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Thu Jul 8 21:27:03 EDT 2004

Dear Karl;

In POPULAR ASTRONOMY LVII:10 Dec 1049 (#570) H.H.Nininger had a two page
article with a drawing of a spiraling/undulating meteor he observed 8
June 1949.

I have seen more than 30,000 meteors and no more than 5 of these
noticeably spiraled (more or less head-on) or undulated (viewed from the
side).  All of these were seen when I was reclining and not moving my
head during regular meteor observing sessions.

The most notable corkscrewing/spiraling meteor was a magnitude - 1 deep
yellow Geminid on the night of 12/13 Dec 1991.  It was very nearly
head-on and extremely foreshortened - it looked like a deep yellow
teardrop and make two and a half turns.

Several years later I saw a (around +2) sporadic not-quite-so-nearly
head-on which made one and a half turns.  (It would take me quite a
while to track down the date and exact details for this one.)

At least one good photo of an undulating/spiraling meteor has been
published in SKY & TELESCOPE. (Again it would take me a very long time
to  find the reference.)

Some years before Nininger' article a photo was published in POPULAR
ASTRONOMY - and every effort was made to show that the undulations were
caused by camera vibrations (the camera presumably being bumped just
before the beginning of the exposure and then vibrating at just the
right frequency to account for the eveness of the undulations) or some
other cause.  Obviously at that time spiraling/undulating meteors were
considered to be "impossible".

I will not venture any comment about curving meteors as I have very bad
astigmatism.  My glasses are very thin vertically in the middle and very
thick at the inner and outer edges.  Even in the daytime the only truly
straight lines I see are when I have the object or whatever vertically
in the very center of my field of view.  I cannot take my glasses off
and look the thru eyepiece of a telescope because at best focus a star
is a bright line about 7 times as long as wide.

Paul Martsching
Ames, IA