(meteorobs) Other reports of July 7/8 TX, OK, LA fireball

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 12 02:21:01 EDT 2004

Just in case they haven't been noticed yet, there are some
reports of the Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma (and probably
Arkansas) fireball on July 8 UTC (July 7 PM local time) on
this page:

http://nuforc.org/webreports/ndxe200407.html

Someone in Heavener, OK, reported that it lasted 24 seconds.
(There's one report from Burleson, TX, that says 3 minutes,
but that must be a mistake, although it seems to match in
other respects.)  More reports may show up there when the
page is updated again.

A member of the Austin Astronomical Society (a local club)
saw it from Mason, Texas, quite a ways west of here, as he
was driving back the area from McDonald Observatory in far
west Texas.

I'm still sulking because I failed to see it.  Depending on
the exact time, I may have been outside when it occurred.
There were quite a lot of clouds here that evening.  A
group of about 40 was at our club's observatory at the time,
but none of them noticed it!  So that helps me not to feel
too bad for missing it.

Ed Cannon - ecannon at mail.utexas.edu - Austin, Texas, USA