(meteorobs) Re: zigzag meteors and more

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Wed Jul 14 03:37:11 EDT 2004

Marco's statement,

 >I do not believe in zig-zagging meteors at all.

I have to agree with in full.  After 44 years and about 90000 meteors, I
have yet to see a meteor do a zigzag.  The explanations for what others
think are zigzags seem quite reasonable and I have no others to add.  There
have been mentions of  some Perseids in 1972 and 1996 with zigzags and
fragmenting, but I saw both showers myself and missed out on these effects.

Split meteors are a different story, and I have seen a fair number of
these.  They certainly add some variety to meteors.  I don't recall fast
meteors doing splits, only slow or medium ones.  The detached piece/pieces
are almost always orange and lag behind the main body.  In these cases I
have never seen any deviation from the main line of flight, although it
seems that some slight change of direction could occur.  I have seen a few
slow meteors completely crumble into a ribbon of moving fragments.  Every
one of those was orange, and some of them were surely bits of reentering
manmade debris.

There is only one meteor in which I saw fragments leave at an angle.  It
was on the morning of 1960 Nov 27 at 5:30 AM in Miami.  An 8-second meteor
went from Gemini to near Corvus (likely a Taurid), peaking at -8m but
changing constantly in brightness.  At the end it was  -5m, then it split
into three orange  -2m fragments  -- one went straight, the others diverged
one left and one right out of line about 15 degrees.  These fragments only
traveled one final degree of arc.  I can never forget the exact time of
such a spectacular meteor.

Curving meteors I have none to speak of, but will not dismiss their
possibility.  A different matter,

 >A 'starrynights' post from "Rick M" <starman_962 at ...> reads:
 >>   I've seen meteors falling almost straight,or with a arch ...

sounds like a meteor appearing to rise and fall relative to the
horizon.  If a series of apparent elevations in degrees of arc were made,
there would indeed be increasing elevations followed by decreases.  But the
true path is perfectly straight, and it is projected against the inside
surface of a sphere which causes the illusion of arching.

There is a way to verify this illusion.  Go to a building with a sufficient
length of overhanging roof to stand under, where the low sky and horizon
can also be seen.  Move your vision from one side to the other along the
horizon and note how the straight roof edge appears to rise and fall
relative to the horizon.

The Texas fireball I would have immediately figured from general
descriptions to be a meteor.  It was too fast, too bright, and off-color to
be a reentry.  It was likely too bright and too early in July to be an
Aquarid.  The public usually thinks of burning plane or space junk first,
then the uninformed media with the help of non-meteor astronomers often
jumps in with a shower identification even if the shower is impossible to
see at the moment.

I haven't had time for observing meteors in a while, but plan on being out
for the Perseids.  The late-night hours have been generally clear in SW
Florida for a while which would be favorable for Perseid max.  We did see
the transit of Venus on June 8 from right around the corner, where a road
was aimed at the sun giving us a low horizon.  Using 11 X 80 binoculars to
project a magnified image onto a white screen gave a fine view.

Marco's statement,

 >This is comparing apples with pears.

is a very sweet treat alternative to the customary comparison of apples and
oranges.

The story of an unusual terrestrial fireball in a hospital operating room
was posted to the meteorobs list on April 18, 2002.  Yet another type took
place near Cape Canaveral just before the Fourth of July.  Two young men
were throwing lit fireworks out the windows of a moving car.  A spark
ignited all the rest of their stash which caused them to wreck.  The police
could not get near the car for a number of minutes because fireballs kept
coming out of the car windows.  When it was over one man was dead and the
other was burned over most of his body.  These folks were afflicted by a
serious collective case of the stupids.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor