(meteorobs) odd looking meteors

edward moore edward_f_moore at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 17:53:17 EDT 2004

Hi

I have been watching meteors for many a year but every so often I see one that just doesn't look right. I have noticed ones that suddenly appear, as any "normal meteor" but instead of the nice straight streak these appear to just " fizzle out" like a fireworks. They appear to start " upward" and finish their burn heading "down". Based on this it cant be something that was "earth launched" such as fireworks, model rockets etc. The " meteor " does not start out like a normal one then tend to break up but seems to fizzle from the start of it's appearance.

I have never seen one like this high in the sky, they always appear no more than 45 degrees from the horizon. I have never hear any sound when they appear, so I assume they are far off, but they do give the appearance of being closer to me then any " normal one" that I have ever seen.

I really dont know how to explain this, but if anyone can make sense of what i am trying to say and has an answer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Ed