(meteorobs) Observation 27-28 July 2004

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Sat Jul 31 13:23:46 EDT 2004

My SDA rates on July 27 and 28 (UT) seemed consistent with my 2001 and 2003 observations. Hourly rates from my 42.6° N location were 5 and 7 respectively on those two dates this year.  When you've got a shower that's producing single-digit rates from your location, it's really easy to catch an off hour or two.  I can only conclude that that's what happened on July 29 when I only saw 1 SDA in an hour but Pierre Martin reported higher activity.  Last year on July 27, I observed 8 SDAs in my first hour and 3 in my second hour of observations.  If I'd just seen the first hour, I would have concluded that rates were decent. If I'd just seen the second hour, I would have called them poor.  It would be nice to observe for 5 hours straight to get a bigger sample size, but that's a luxury reserved for more southern viewers who have the radiant in a better location.

As for shower association without plotting, I feel confident in doing it most nights with the aid of a plotting cord (aka shoestring).  Obviously, I feel more confident the more meteors a shower is producing, as that lessens the impact of ambiguous associations or poorly-seen meteors on the rates.

Near the Perseid max, it depends on the conditions, radiant heights and which direction I'm facing.  I generally just concentrate on the Perseids, though. As a counter, I'm most interested in rates and brightness profiles of major showers.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR