(meteorobs) observation report VANMC 21-22 may

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Tue Jun 1 18:33:14 EDT 2004

Thank you for sharing another enjoyable observing report
with the list, Michel! It is always an inspiration to do
more observing, to read your reports... Also, it's nice
to know that someone else does "just meteor counts" (as
opposed to plotting meteors) during these slow times of
year... I sometimes feel guilty for not pulling out the
plot charts myself - even when the sky is dark, and the
rates really are high enough to justify doing counts! :)

> Arcturus (alfa Booti). At 23.52 UT I saw a fast -2 apex
> sporadic with very long trail in the big dipper.

Do you distinguish Bob Lunsford's various "complexes" of
sporadics when observing, Michel? (Bob has identified a
slow- to medium-speed Anthelion "radiant" or complex, as
well as fast north and south Apex complexes year-round,
in his excellent weekly Meteor Outlook.)

I try to do this - and generally can associate at least
some nontrivial sampling of meteors in each session with
whichever of these complexes have high current altitudes.

PS: I also wanted to ask Michel and other DMS observers,
what velocities you use when trying shower associations
for non-IMO showers (e.g., Alpha Sco, Tau Her) you log?

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer