(meteorobs) FIREBALL over B.C. and Washington State

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 4 02:46:20 EDT 2004

A major fireball event was observed over southern British Columbia and a
joining U.S. States on 3 June 2004 at 02:40:12 Pacific Daylight Time
(09:40:12 U.T.)  It was recorded by a Sandia All-sky camera from my
observatory in Courtenay on Vancouver Island.  If you observed this fireball
we would be interested in seeing your report.  This should provide your
location, the direction you first observed the meteor (a compass reading
indicating if this is magnetic or corrected to true north) and the height
above the horizon (measured with a clinometer or protractor device).  Repeat
the above steps for the direction and elevation you last saw the fireball.
Indicate if it was moving from right-to-left or left-to-right.  This will
give us an indication if we have observers on both sides of the track.  This
is required if we want to do a triangulation and thus predict a fall area.
Also note if any sounds were heard.  i.e. delayed sonic boom or simultaneous
sounds.  Do not forget to include your name and contact information.  We may
need to interview you for further information.  You can also fill out an on
line report by looking up NAMN (North American Meteor Network), the AMS
(American Meteor Society), the IMO (International Meteor Organization).  In
any event send a duplicate report to me at: epmajden at shaw.ca

Ed Majden - MIAC Associate (Meteorites and Impacts Advisory Committee to the
Canada Space Agency.  Affiliate: American Meteor Society
Sandia Bolide Detection Station - Courtenay B.C. CANADA