(meteorobs) Perseid outburst prediction this year?

Geert Barentsen geert.barentsen at pandora.be
Fri Jun 4 04:57:19 EDT 2004

Hello meteorobs,

First, let me say thank you to Esko, Sergey, Jeremie, Rob and many others
for the interesting e-mails lately!!  In addition, many thanks to Lew for
bringing up topics and managing this excellent list!

Here are some additional remarks concerning the Perseids:

* The favourable phase of the moon in 2004 (~15% illumination on august 12)
seems to be rather unique. Similar chances for enhanced activity caused by
Jupiter/Saturn perturbations will have to deal with a lot of lunar
interference. The conditions will be moderate in 2005 (40% illumination)
and 2012 (30%), but bad in 2008 (80%), 2009 (70%), 2016 (60%) and 2028
(70%). It may be difficult to gather and analyse visual data in those
years. It must be a conspiracy :-(

* A question to observers: do you have any special plans to observe the
Perseids this year? Members of our Belgian group will observe from
different places in Romania and France!

* August will be a perfect month to "tell the world" about meteor showers!
If you are involved in some astronomical organisation or (public)
observatory, why not make a short Perseid press release and send it out to
the local media? TV/Radio/Newspapers often love to interview experienced
amateurs or observers about a subject like this, but rarely take the
initiative to look for one... unless you send them a communication!
(However, try to avoid terms like "enhanced activity", "extra outburst",
etc... false hypes are easily started, and can damage meteor science.)

* Let's tell our deepsky- and astrophotography-friends about telescopic and
photographic meteor observing! Many amateurs often capture meteors during
the Perseid maximum, but rarely use their equipment to "observe" (=
retrieve the exact time, coordinates, velocity, etc... of a recorded
meteor). Accurate plots may learn us more about the Perseid radiant structure!
...did you know that the entire IMO photographic handbook can be downloaded
for free at http://www.imo.net/photo/ (PDF)?

Please share your opinions! The Perseids will be here in 68 days from now,
so let's get busy :-)
Many greetings,
Geert