(meteorobs) Fwd: "Fireball lights up NW [US] skies like daytime 2:45 AM 06/03/2004"

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 4 12:06:31 EDT 2004

on 6/4/04 7:35, Lewis J. Gramer at lgramer at upstream.net wrote:

Note that this magnificent fireball was captured by our own Ed Majden on
video, as part of the North American Fireball Camera Network. Ed, did any
other cameras in the network catch this fireball? Any reliable magnitude
estimates yet?

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer

Lew:
   The Sandia video recording from my observatory in Courtenay B.C. was very
near the south-east horizon.  It was more like a very bright flash.  A
magnitude estimate would be very difficult to make from such a video.  I
should note however that the flash was very bright turning night into near
daylight for a second or so.  It is the brightest fireball event recorded so
far from my observatory.  It would indeed have been spectacular if observed
higher in the sky.  Unfortunately our all-sky in Nanaimo was not operating
and the one operated by Ajai Sehgal in Woodinville Wa. is in the process of
being relocated to his new observatory in Osoyoos, B.C.  Hopefully it will
be back in operation soon.  The only other video records I have seen are
from security video cameras that recorded the shadows cast by this bright
fireball.  If there are any other video records we would be very interested
in seeing them.  I understand that there is a seismic record of this
fireball.  It will be interesting to see if the USAF/DOD satellites recorded
this fireball from orbit.  An erroneous report by the media A.P. was being
circulated, later retracted, that a meteorite was recovered in Washington
State.  It is sad that we have to put up with such reports as it is
difficult enough to plot a meteor path with accurate observational data.  To
plot an accurate track and possible fall zone we need observers or
photographic records from both sides of the flight path.  Observers should
report if the meteor was going from right-to-left or left-to-right.  This
gives us an immediate indication if we have observers on both sides of the
meteor track.  It is not good enough to report that you saw the fireball in
the NE heading south.  We need compass bearings for the point you first saw
the fireball and another bearing for the point you last saw the fireball.
Indicate if these readings are magnetic or corrected to true north.  The
elevation of the start and end point is also required.  This can be measured
with a clinometer, a roof slope measuring device, or even a simple
protractor.  Ideally we would like to do in-situ interviews of observers but
due to limited funding to do this it is often not possible.  I should note
that amateurs that own telescopes with digital setting circles or GOTO
systems like the Meade LX200 or Celestron series can point their instruments
at the start and end points of the fireball and write down the displayed
readings along with the time.  Some of these have GPS capability also and
thus would provide accurate site location also.  Something to think about if
you are out observing with one of these instruments and see a bright
fireball.  Don't just say WOW!  Get some accurate readings and make a
contribution to meteor science and meteoritics!

Ed Majden - MIAC Associate - AMS Affiliate
Sandia Bolide Detection Station - Courtenay B.C. Canada