(meteorobs) FW: Washington State bolide

Robert Verish bolidechaser at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 14:11:27 EDT 2004

------------- Forward Message -------------
[meteorite-list] Washington State bolide
Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Sat Jun 5 05:49:38 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I spent about 3 hours this evening doing trajectory
calculations for the bolide that exploded over western
Washington state and have made an important discovery
that should help focus search efforts.
Is there a scientist P.O.C. at U of W handling the
analysis of the seismic data?
I've found something hiding in the PNSN data that
ultimately reveals the flight-path azimuth, and with
further number crunching may also narrow down the
possibilities for the angle of attack.

There's good news and there's bad news.  The good news
is that the angle of attack appears to be much
shallower than has been reported -- less than 20
degrees by my calculations, and probably less than 15
degrees.  This improves the chances that something
survived passage.  The bad news is that my trajectory
results in a rather difficult recovery area -- heavily
forested.

--Rob