(meteorobs) Perseid outburst prediction this year?

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 09:03:07 EDT 2004

Thank you Eric, Wayne, Norman and any others who have urged caution when it comes to  Perseid expectations.  From what I have seen personally and from what others have reported in recent years,  the stream is performing at a mere fraction of what it did back in the seventies and eighties.  You are correct to point out all the many factors that come into play to downgrade observational results.  Beginners get out with little or no experience and disappointment quickly sets in.  Even more experienced observers tend to make the mistake of getting out too early in the night and giving up before the good stuff starts.  In short, don't believe the hype:  make the Perseids prove they can do something.  Be skeptical.  And, please, stay out until dawn, don't quit at 3 a.m. local time and call the shower a bust!  What did you miss after you gave up??  And if they do not produce at least 250 an hour this year, they will be way below what many of us saw routinely from them in the late
 seventies/early eighties.  The Ps have a lot to prove.

Reagards, Paul in N FLA

KCStarguy at aol.com wrote:
The Perseids have been such a dismal failure the past few years (at least
what I saw)-what makes anyone think the shower this year may be better (orbit
perturbation or what?)

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com, dreric1kansas at aol.com),
Olathe, KS. USA
7 total solar eclipses and counting:
webmaster Eric's Black Sun Eclipse website -
>webmaster, Satori Astronomy website
-editor- Black Sun eclipse newsletter
(eclipse/astronomy news) to subscribe send email to
blacksuneclipse-subscribe at yahoogroups.com