(meteorobs) possible fireball in Portugal

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Tue Jun 8 02:16:54 EDT 2004

> Also, I believe that somewhere else there's a claim that it
> was a pass of a Russian Progress craft before it re-entered.
> It would have done a burn, but when and where?  Again, times
> and locations and such details are needed.

Hello Ed,

The event occured just after 22 UTC, June 1. Progress M1-11 was nowhere near
Iberia at that time, it was over the southern Indian ocean. The decay
occured 2 days later, at June 3rd.

Without the radar data I should opt for a satellite manouvring burn  indeed.
But it would be quite a coincidence to have a satellite manouvring and being
seen by many in Portugal & Spain, and simultaniously an unidentified
aircraft in Portuguese airspace.

This is a strange story altogether.

- Marco