(meteorobs) Final Weather Outlook for Tuesday Morning's Transit of Venus

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Jun 7 14:08:40 EDT 2004

This is going to be my final outlook concerning the Tuesday morning weather
for the Venus transit.  At this hour (2:15 p.m. EDT), visible satellite
pictures show much of the Northeast US and Ohio Valley under mainly sunny skies.

However . . . looking at the latest 12Z forecast guidance from several
different models, it appears that just about every location west to the Ohio Valley,
south to central Virginia and north through New England will have at least
one and in some cases as many as three things to be concerned about on Tuesday
morning.

1) The first is the potential for low clouds and fog.  As noted in the
previous two updates, the lowest levels of the atmosphere -- below 1,500 feet --
will have relative humidity levels hovering close to the point where low
cloudiness and patchy fog could develop in the predawn morning hours.  The projected
values have again come down from the previous two computer runs, but many
locales will still be hovering precariously close to the 80% mark -- the level
which I personally use to indicate the possibility of morning low cloud and fog
development.  This means that it might be worthwhile staying away from valleys
and coastal sections where low clouds and morning fog have a history of
developing.

2) The second is a slight "wrinkle" in the upper atmospheric flow over
central New England, which could induce some patchy mid-to-high level cloudiness
over eastern New York State and much of New England.

These clouds may be especially prevailent over northern sections of Vermont
and New Hampshire as well as western portions of Maine.  It is possible that --
especially in these three regions -- the Sun might appear significantly
diffused (as if looking at through a jar of mayonaisse).

3) The final thing is the haze, which has rapidly increased over the past
24-hours in response to a wind shift into the southwest.  It is conceivable that
in those areas that have a clear view of the rising Sun on Tuesday, the haze
could significantly attenuate the Sun's light to a degree so that the use of
dense solar filters might completely hide the Sun.  As the Sun climbs higher
into the sky, however, the amount of haze it will compete with should gradually
diminish.

So for as quoting any viewing odds, I would say that for New England, Greater
New York-New Jersey, Upstate New York, Middle Atlantic Coastal, and the
eastern sections of the Ohio River Valley, I would say it is in the 40 to 60%
range.

Sorry these numbers can't be higher, but I feel that there are just too many
factors out there that loan itself against being able to go with a higher
probability of good weather; I really can't point to any one specific region and
say, "There!, that's where you're definitely going to find clear skies on
Tuesday morning."

I would simply check the sky frequently, especially during the second half of
the night (look for the almost-last quarter Moon).  Hopefully, the sky will
still be reasonably good by dawn.  If not, you might want to do some
last-minute traveling.  In this kind of weather set-up, a clearer sky might not be too
far away.

Good Luck to All!
-- joe rao