(meteorobs) Re: Question about radiant drift

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 17:06:13 EDT 2004

Bamm and All,

As for the change in celestial latitude (declination), all I can add here is
that a radiant will usually reflect the same change in declination as the
ecliptic located in the same longitude (right ascension). See the following
table for right ascensions and the approximate change in declination:

Right Ascension: 0-30 Change in Declination: +0.3
                         30-60                                   +0.2
                         60-75                                   +0.1
                         75-105                                   0.0
                       105-120                                  -0.1
                       120-150                                  -0.2
                       150-210                                  -0.3
                       210-240                                  -0.2
                       240-255                                  -0.1
                       255-285                                   0.0
                       285-300                                  +0.1
                       300-330                                  +0.2
                       330-360                                  +0.3

This is off the top of my head so don't expect the figures to be exact.
I really don't have the time to find out where exactly the drift shifts from
0.1 to 0.2

There have been some fine responses on this subject, some far beyond
my capabilities. I just hope my simple contributions help too!

Bob Lunsford