(meteorobs) Re: Question about radiant drift

Bamm Gabriana bamm at upastrosoc.org
Thu Jun 10 04:51:38 EDT 2004

Hi Bob!

Since the ecliptic is slightly inclined from the equator, changes in
declination is not necessarily a change in ecliptic latitude.

For example, at the Ursids radiant the ecliptic and equatorial
coordinates are actually perpendicular to each other! This is because
the ursids are approximately in an equilateral triangle with the
celestial and ecliptic north poles.

Thus in this case, a change in latitude actually results in a change
in right ascension instead of declination.

Thanks for all responses, I'm glad there are many as interested as I
am in this topic. I'll be away for several days, I hope someone can
refer to me a nice reference on this topic. I am not a physics major
but I think I have enough background to understand some of them.

Bamm

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lunsford"
<lunro.imo.usa at c...> wrote:
> Bamm and All,
>
> As for the change in celestial latitude (declination), all I can
add here is
> that a radiant will usually reflect the same change in declination
as the
> ecliptic located in the same longitude (right ascension). See the
following
> table for right ascensions and the approximate change in
declination: