(meteorobs) Observation June 10/11 2004

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 15 01:33:56 EDT 2004

Here's my report for a short evening of meteor observing at Bootland
Farm (near Arnprior) out West of Ottawa.  The sky conditions were
above-average transparency with LM=6.5.  For this session I faced the
south-east.

In one hour observing time, I logged only 7 meteors.  However, some of
those were very nice vividly coloured meteors...

The best was the mag -3 deep yellow/orange Xi Draconid into Cygnus.  It
had a 15 degrees path.  It was well seen and plotted.

Barely four minutes later, an impressive mag -1 earthgrazing sporadic
appeared.  It travelled slowly a persistent 40 degrees path from
Serpens to Scorpius.  It displayed a vivid yellow color and left a
short wake.

Another highlight was a vivid blue mag 0 north apex sporadic at 3:36UT
that shot a swift 30 degrees and left a 2 second train.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 10/11 2004
BEGIN: 0240 UT (2240 EDT)  END: 0342 UT (2342 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45.23' North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Bootland Farm (Arnprior), Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		ANT (Antihelions or Sagittarids)_______________18:24 -23
		OSC (Omega Scorpids)___________________________16:40 -21
		JLY (June Lyrids)______________________________18:24 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)_____________________________18:24 +55
		NPX (sporadics from north apex)________________23:24 +12
		SPX (sporadics from south apex)________________23:24 -18
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__F_____LM_____ANT_OSC_JLY_XDR_NPX_SPX_SPO

0240-0342__1654+10__1.01__1.00__6.50____0___0___0___1___1___/___5  =  7

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky). The fourth column (F) is a value for obstructions in the field of
view such as clouds (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The next column (LM) is
the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star
counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for each
shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-3__-2__-1__0__+1__+2__+3__+4_____AVE

SPO___0___0___1___1__0___0___3___1____+2.00
XDR___1___0___0___0__0___0___0___0____-3.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

Dead time: 1.66 min. (for plotting)

Breaks (UT): None