(meteorobs) Observation June 11/12 2004

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 15 01:34:06 EDT 2004

 From even darker skies on Saturday morning June 11/12, I enjoyed a
little more than an hour of meteor observing.  I had spent most of the
night doing deep sky observing with my 14.5" dob.  It was a very
rewarding dark night (LM=6.8 until the moonrise).

In 1.41 hour teff, the meteor rates were fairly productive in the first
hour.  The sporadics were active with 9 seen, but shower activity was a
bit low.  No Xi Draconids/June Lyrids were seen.  For some reason, the
meteor rates became *very* slow for the final half hour with only one
sporadic seen.

The highlight was a very swift mag 0 north apex sporadic at 6:30UT that
shot 15 degrees like a bullet and left behind a wake.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 11/12 2004
BEGIN: 0545 UT (0145 EDT)  END: 0711 UT (0311 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -77.304 West; Lat: 45.431 North  Elevation: 1800 ft
City & Province: Foymount, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		ANT (Antihelions or Sagittarids)_______________18:24 -23
		OSC (Omega Scorpids)___________________________16:40 -21
		JLY (June Lyrids)______________________________18:24 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)_____________________________18:24 +55
		NPX (sporadics from north apex)________________23:24 +12
		SPX (sporadics from south apex)________________23:24 -18
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__F_____LM_____ANT_OSC_JLY_XDR_NPX_SPX_SPO

0545-0646__1836+09__1.00__1.00__6.80____2___0___0___0___1___0___9
0646-0711__1934+07__0.41__1.00__6.55____0___0___0___0___0___0___1

TOTALS:_____________1.41________________2___0___0___0___1___0__10  =  13

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky). The fourth column (F) is a value for obstructions in the field of
view such as clouds (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The next column (LM) is
the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star
counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for each
shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5__+6_____AVE

SPO___1___0___3___2___3___1___1____+3.18
ANT___0___0___0___0___1___1___0____+4.50

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

Dead time: 1.66 min. (for plotting)

Breaks (UT): 6:59 (30 sec)