(meteorobs) Observation June 12/13 2004

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 15 01:34:15 EDT 2004

The second night at this dark sky site... Despite threatening clouds
and wind, the skies eventually cleared up and the transparency became
very good.  In fact, the LM got as deep as 6.9 and the summer Milky Way
was a glorious site!  It was pleasant with a nice breeze blowing from
the south-west.

I observed for more than an hour and a half until the morning twilight.
  Meteor activity was very enjoyable and quite consistent.  I recorded
as many as 25 meteors.

Xi Draconids were active with 4 confirmed plots that are dead-on with
the radiant!

The highlights included...

At 4:17UT, an impressive mag 1 vivid *BLUE* Xi Draconid into Aquila!

And at 4:32UT, a *very* slow moving *orange* Omega Scorpid in southern
Ophiuchus.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 12/13 2004
BEGIN: 0415 UT (0015 EDT)  END: 0649 UT (0249 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -77.304 West; Lat: 45.431 North  Elevation: 1800 ft
City & Province: Foymount, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		ANT (Antihelions or Sagittarids)_______________18:24 -23
		OSC (Omega Scorpids)___________________________16:40 -21
		JLY (June Lyrids)______________________________18:24 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)_____________________________18:24 +55
		NPX (sporadics from north apex)________________23:24 +12
		SPX (sporadics from south apex)________________23:24 -18
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__F_____LM_____ANT_OSC_JLY_XDR_NPX_SPX_SPO

0415-0607__1947+25__1.00__1.00__6.83____0___1___0___2___1___0___7
0607-0649__2038+18__0.69__1.00__6.85____2___0___0___2___0___0__10

TOTALS:_____________1.69________________2___1___0___4___1___0__17  =  25

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky). The fourth column (F) is a value for obstructions in the field of
view such as clouds (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The next column (LM) is
the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star
counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for each
shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____+1__+2__+3__+4__+5__+6______AVE

SPO___0___3___5___6___3___1_____+3.66
ANT___0___0___2___0___0___0_____+3.00
OSC___1___0___0___0___0___0_____+1.00
XDR___1___1___1___1___0___0_____+2.50

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

Dead time: 53.16 min. (2.16 min for plotting)

Breaks (UT): 4:18-21, 4:40-5:13, 5:35-50