(meteorobs) Flurry of Reported Fireballs

Robert Verish bolidechaser at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 14:41:48 EDT 2004

-------------- Forward Messages --------------

From: Ron Baalke [mailto:baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 10:49 AM

Subject: Meteor Rocks Missouri Residents

http://freeinternetpress.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/20/0542230&mode=thread

Car-Sized Meteor Rocks Missouri Residents
Free Internet Press
June 19, 2004

Paul Kesterson was getting ready for work Friday
morning when two thunderous explosions a split second
apart rocked the sky above his home.

"It was loud enough to shake the house and rattle the
windows," said Kesterson, owner of Marshfield TV and
Electronics. "The dog's probably still hiding."

The rural Webster County man rushed outside, not sure
what he'd find.

"There was a smoke trail in the sky, but it wasn't
straight," he said.
"It kind of came down at an angle, like a jet contrail
that the wind had distorted."

The Webster County Sheriff's Department fielded nearly
20 phone calls from area residents around 9:20 a.m.,
concerned something had blown up.

Dispatchers checked with area quarries, which reported
no blasting activity.

And no supersonic aircraft were in the skies above
Webster County, according to Springfield airport and
Fort Leonard Wood officials.

NASA scientist Mike Mumma said the likely culprit was
a "sizable" meteor ripping apart as it blasted through
the atmosphere at 100,000 mph.

"From the description of buildings and windows
shaking, that's a fairly significant sonic boom," said
Mumma, chief scientist of planetary research at
Goddard Research Center in Greenbelt, Md. "It would
have been much larger than fist-sized to make that
loud of a noise and generate that much energy.
I couldn't speculate how big, though."

Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near Earth Object
monitoring program in Pasadena, Calif., said a meteor
that shakes homes and windows could have been the size
of a small car.

----------------------------------

[meteorite-list] Air burst
Rex REK7 at cox.net
Sun Jun 20 11:56:21 EDT 2004

Hello list,

  Did anybody else hear about a meteor exploding over
Las Vegas yesterday morning (6/19) about 5am? I saw it
right after it happened. A straight line cloud about
the length of my thumb with my arm stretched out.  I
have a couple of pictures of it about 2 minutes later
after it started to dissipate,
if anybody is interested.
(I have to learn to keep fresh batteries in my camera)

            Rex

[meteorite-list] Mystery Explosion Rocks Town in
England
Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 18 15:19:34 EDT 2004

http://www.eastbournetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=577&ArticleID=802656

MYSTERY EXPLOSION ROCKS TOWN
Eastbourne Today (United Kingdom)
June 7, 2004

RESIDENTS in Seaford were rocked by an explosion --
but the cause of the blast remains a mystery.

It's believed the blast happened at Tide Mills at
Bishopstone, between Seaford and Newhaven.

It was reported to police by a member of the public on
May 20 at 11.39am.

A company had been laying pipes on the beach at the
time of the explosion, but workers say they had also
heard the blast and it was not down to them.

Another theory was that the noise was caused by an
aircraft going supersonic over the land, but inquiries
ruled this out.

Officers were told by residents that the explosion
sounded like 'a bomb going off'.

The explosion was also heard by police at the incident
management centre in Seaford.