(meteorobs) June Bootids - Call for observations

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Tue Jun 22 14:14:06 EDT 2004

This is an exciting opportunity for the amateur meteor
community to test some very recent model predictions.

By the way, all observers (not least myself!): please
note Rainer's strong recommendation that we *plot*
any suspected June Bootids during observing sessions.

I also take to heart his suggestion NOT to memorize a
radiant location for the JBOs ahead of time. This helps
me eliminate any self-doubts about "plotting the meteor
to fit the radiant" - this is just TOO easy to do... :(

This really is quite important, as it is only with good
quality data, carefully collected, that we amateurs get
to make our best contributions to humanity's knowledge
about the universe, on occasions like this.

For those in need of a refresher, here is a nice, short
introduction to plotting:
  http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html#plots

More details (including how to get plot charts, if you
do not already have them) can be found at:
  http://www.imo.net/visual/minor02.html

(If you do not already have copies of the "Atlas BRNO"
charts mentioned in the sites above, don't fret - why
not try your hand at plotting on the "wrong kind" of
charts this week, *just for fun and practice*? I find
that photocopies of most common star atlases - although
they won't give scientifically useful plots because of
the "curved meteor" problem - work fine for practicing!)

And remember - whether you plot for science this week,
or just watch for fun - be sure to enjoy yourself! :)

Clear skies all,

Lew Gramer (GRALE)