(meteorobs) Predictions for June Bootids as a radio shower?

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Tue Jun 22 16:04:34 EDT 2004

Local club member John B. asks:
>I was planning on checking this (potential) shower out.
>Does anyone have an idea if this may be a good radio shower?

John, all the predictions are fairly loose on this shower
(there just isn't that much June Bootid data to base models
on - unlike with the Leonids). So the two critical factors
that would determine an outburst's characteristic details -
the spatial density of particles, and the mass distribution
of those particles - are not well determined by any of the
models. The most "precise" (not necessarily accurate!) rate
prediction I recall seeing is an UPPER bound of 250 *visual*
meteors per hour... If that materialized (which of course
it may not), it would certainly make interesting listening.

But without knowing how those meteors are mass distributed,
there's no way to tell how "strong" a radio shower might
sound (e.g., how many overdense or extended reflections).

Of course, the best answer to your question is - why not
listen (and watch, at night) to find out for yourself! ;>

Anyway, I'm forwarding this message on to the 'meteorobs'
forum, for a (hopefully) more informed and detailed answer
to this question about radio meteors! If any of our readers
come back with additional info, I'll let you know, John!

Let me know what you hear, and clear (E-free) skies!

Lew Gramer