(meteorobs) A photo from Greenland

Lars Bakmann bakmann at os.dk
Wed Jun 23 16:05:47 EDT 2004

Hi all

For some times ago I send a request to the Imo news list about some photos taken of a "fireball" seen over Illulissat ,

Jakobshavn   In Greenland

I got some answers and nearly all had the same opinion, that it was the contrail of a large aeroplane. A single person told me that the pictures where fakes.

I also got an answer from  Hans Bødker, a former military pilot and now working as air-traffic controller  in  Sdr. Strømfjord, Greenland.   Hans Bødker has also a lot of experience with photo work.

He wrote that there is a flight corridor over the Jakobshavns area for westbound airplanes and that the air humidity and the light condition under some speciel conditions can give a sight as shown at the pictures.

It was confusing that the observer gave a duration as 120 sec. Too long for a fireball and to short for must aeroplanes crossing the sky.

I think that the observer gave a wrong duration ( we have asked several times for more details, but he can not  bring news to the story.

Hans  Bødker wrote, that he is quite sure, that it is a big aeroplane seen in the direction near the sun and therefore  the aeroplane itself is hidden.

Photos are taken around 19:15 local time and the coordinates is Long: 51 degree 06` W   Lat:   69 degree 14 ` N

Interested can see the pictures  here

http://as.dsri.dk/sekt/meteor/ildkugle_billede.htm

At last I like to say thanks to all the people who took the time to answer me.

Best regards

Lars Bakmann

Danish meteor section