(meteorobs) Fireball Recoveries?

Paul Howe prhowe at ARTHRITIS.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Jun 23 18:21:45 EDT 2004

Dear list,

I'm impressed with the responses I have received so rapidly.  A lot have
asked for more info, so I will go ahead and post what I know here.

This sighting was from the business manager of my center.  A very sharp and
reliable person.  She is an early riser and was on her back porch at 05:00
MST 19 June 2004.  She first noticed a gray object traveling from east to
west approximately 10+ miles from her home, directly north.  She said the
trajectory was low and almost parallel to the earths surface.  It was not
glowing when she first noticed it, but it burst into a fireball a few
seconds after first spotting it.  She watched it very close as it traveled
west and descended.  It descended into a range of shallow mountains and was
able to point to the exact spot where she said it 'impacted'.  She claims
this because on impact she saw a bright flash on the side of one peak.  This
is how I came up with the six mile search area, which (if she is accurate)
is more like 1/2 sq. mile.  I was planning on flying the area this weekend
to see if I can spot ant scars from the air.  If not, then it's on foot.

Her location (where it was viewed from) = 32.3658 N / 111.0316 W

The location she strongly believes it touched earth = 32.4708 N / 111.0652 W

Thanks again for all the help,

Paul