(meteorobs) June Bootids from China,23/24

Quanzhi Ye tom6740 at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Jun 24 08:30:52 EDT 2004

After the graduate exam of geography, I recived the
permit for go out for June Bootids from my parents.

The weather condition was terribly bad in the
afternoon, but I thought it would be fine in the
evening. So I went to Huolu Hill in northeast of
Guangzhou(Canton) at 7PM, and arrived there at about
7:45PM. It was still cloudy so I had to wait... The
possibly activity was behind the cloud.

After two hours, at 9:30PM the weather seem to be a
little better, there were many "holes" on the cloud so
I could see stars through them. But the Lm was
terribly bad, only 1.5!! Although, I started at once.

There were so many clouds so I had to pause some time.
I called Huan Meng and Jin Zhu in Beijing, but they
weren't working.

10:15PM(14:15UT), the sky was clear again. So I
started, hopefully. Suddenly a bright object appear, I
was happy at that moment, but that's an
airplane...(:-P) it passed Spica, and then that was! A
bright meteor appear, "Jumboo!"(Short for June
Bootids:-P) I shouted, then draw it in my Atlas Brno.
22:29, a -1 one, finally comes.

10:35PM-10:50PM was cloudy again, Huan Meng adviced me
to do draw observing only. 10:50PM it was cleared
again, and the Lm was a little better, up to 2.
11:13PM(15:13UT) that was #2, and +1 JBO to southwest.
11:17PM that was a SPO.
11:20PM to 0:10AM, cloudy again. After 0:10AM,
cleared, Lm up to 2.5. Around 0:20AM that was a
"shower" - two meteors in two minutes! Both were
mag.0. 0:40AM to 1:00AM - cloudy. 1:16AM, finally a
fireball! mag.-4, and 1:31AM there was a -2 SPO. I
stopped at 1:50AM, five JBOs in 125 minutes.

Here's a list of those JBOs and SPOs, due to the
terribly Lm I don't plan to write a offical report,
but I'll send the Brnos to IMO soon.

Lm~1.5
21:30-21:40 None
21:40-22:15 Cloudy
22:15-22:35 22:29 -1 JBO
22:35-22:50 Cloudy
Lm~2
22:50-23:20 23:13 1 JBO 23:17 1 SPO
23:20-0:10 Cloudy
Lm~2.5
0:10-0:40 0:22 0 JBO 0:24 0 JBO 0:37 2 SPO
0:40-1:00 Cloudy
1:00-1:35 1:16 -4 JBO 1:31 -2 SPO
1:35-1:50 Cloudy

Wish you a cleared sky!