(meteorobs) IMO METEOR SUMMARY REPORT: 23/24-Jun-2004, Lew Gramer (GRALE)

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 25 21:54:56 EDT 2004

Hi Lew,

I read your report with interest.  It certainly is quite interesting
for such a difference in our rates (despite similar viewing conditions
and near the same times).  You're also a highly experienced observer
and I doubt that there is such error in the datas.

While I was setting up in the deep twilight, a quick glance up and at
2:15 UT I catch a casual JBO of mag +2 that was distinctly slow and
radiated from the top of Bootes.  This brought my hopes up that the
JBOs would continue a steady activity for a second night in a row.
However, the following 3 hours teff had just one faint JBO seen only
about a half hour into the session.  Even then, I did not see that
meteor all that well.  Then definitely nothing else seen from that
source until the end.  I know also that I was fully awake and alert the
whole session, facing the south-west sky, and yet I was seeing the many
meteors coming from other sources.

I just noticed that the IMO circular indicates the JBOs ZHR down to
only one by the time you started your session on that night.

This brings up maybe a possible explanation... Were you lucky enough to
witness a highly localized small outburst of the JBOs???

At least Bob Lunsford and Sirko Molau aleady reported seeing
concentrations of activity on distinct periods.  Could it be that maybe
the Pons-Winnecke June Bootids possess very small filaments that can
produce such a highly localized bursts of activity?

- Pierre