(meteorobs) Bootid obs, Sharon Massachusetts, June 26/27

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Sun Jun 27 00:07:34 EDT 2004

Thought I would take a look for the possible enhanced Bootid activity
tonight. Headed to my local spot in late twilight to be greeted by a rather
enthusiastic party of mosquitos. Sent most of them to commune with their
ancestors and settled in among the quicker ones which remained. Pretty cool
out there tonight, but since this is the result of the frontal passage
which cleared the skies late this afternoon (with a rainbow producing
downpour) the cool, cloudless air was very welcome.

The fireflies were active in the treetops, some of them doing good
imitationd  msg -5 skipping fireballs. The fireflies seemed to be flying
very fast this evening. Perhaps the cooler weather makes them fly
faster?  I quickly tuned them out along with the heavy air traffic into
Logan Airport. The satellite traffic seemed almost as congested as the
atmospheric traffic this twilight. I could not get used to the moon, nor
could I find a convenient shadow in which to hide. I ended up having to
shield the moon with my hand (which was rather tiresome).

First meteor of the night was a mag 3 apparent sporadic which traced
solidly back to the JLY radiant and is being reported as such. This was
followed 10 minutes later by a long, entrancing mag 3 JBO which I soon
decided was a satellite in polar or near polar orbit doing an excellent
imitation of a JBO. The tip off was the -3 magnitude flare which was not
accompanied by a visible train. Also, I realized it was traversing much too
much sky for a meteor originating relatively close to the radiant.

The first sporadic of the night was a dramatic earth grazer which I first
noticed in Cygnus and which passed the meridian before fading. Although
only mag 3, it left a blue white track which persisted for nearly a second.

The 2 JBO's were each bright orange. The last one of the night was bright
enough to catch my attention in my perhipheral vision even though it was
passing within 5 degrees of the moon. Since it was passing so near the
bright moon, it was hard to estimate its magnitude and it may well have
been brighter than the mag -1 I assigned.

---------
Richard Kramer Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

EDT 21:22 26 Jun to 22:41 26 June
UTC 01:22 27 Jun to 02:41 27 June

Showers observed June Bootids  JBO
                  June Lyrids   JLY

UTC              Teff   LM    JBO    JLY    SPO    Total
01:22 - 01:30    0.17   2.5    0      0      0       0
01:30 - 01:55    0.41   3.5    0      1      0       1
01:55 - 02:41    0.72   4.0    2      0      2       4

Magnitude Distributions
           -2  -1  0  1  2  3  4
JBO        1   1  0 0  0  0  0
JLY        0   0  0  0  0  1  0
SPO        0   1  1  0  0  0  0

Notes:
1. Sky clear with significant moonlight
2. 15% obstruction by trees on NW perhiphery plus shield used against moonlight
3. Center of view in Hercules
4. Temp 60F dropping to 57F, wind variable and very light