(meteorobs) Re-entry over North America

YoungBob2 at aol.com YoungBob2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 02:14:43 EDT 2004

In a message dated 6/27/2004 12:31:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ecannon at mail.utexas.edu writes:

<< t appears pretty certain that there was an impressive re-entry,
 eastbound multiple fragmenting fireballs, over North America a
 little while ago:

 http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Jun-2004/0324.html
 http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Jun-2004/0325.html

 If so, it was a Russian upper stage, NORAD 22273, COSPAR 92-088E.

 One non-observation maybe was due to too bright twilight?

 It's been cloudy and rainy here most of the time for at least
 a couple of weeks.  I sure had hoped to try to see JBOs, but
 no such luck.  Congratulations to those who did!

 Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

Ed:

I believe that I saw this.  My location was North 40 deg 8' ,
West 54.8 deg.

The time was about 22:52 EDT, or 04:52 UT, June 26-27.

The objects covered about 120 degrees of sky in about 30 seconds,
or about 4 degrees of arc per second, consistent with a satellite
in low Earth orbit.

The brightest object was yellow-orange and bolide-like, but there
were four dimmer reddish objects, accompanied by many dim
"sparks".  The brighter object dropped back and lower and then
burned out.  The others dimmed and went out.  The path was
West to East, from about 290 degrees to 70 degrees (estimate).

I've seen bright bolides, but never anything like this.  Pretty neat.

Bob Young