(meteorobs) Observation June 26/27 2004

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 27 23:31:33 EDT 2004

This morning (June 27) I had a very enjoyable session at Bootland Farm
(located just west of Ottawa)...

There was a light breeze only.  It was nice to have such a dry night
with no dew and no bugs at all.  The cooler temp sure helped a lot.
While two other observers were keeping busy with scopes, I signed-on
for a 2 hours TEFF of meteor observing until dawn.  The sky was of
average quality transparency, yet the summer Milky Way was still
looking beautiful.  My limiting magnitude reached 6.4-6.5 at one point.
  For this session, I faced the western sky.

I recorded a total of 23 meteors (2 Sagittarids, a June Lyrid and 20
sporadics).  The June Bootids did not produce any activity.

The nicest meteor was the mag 0 blue sporadic at 2:50 EDT that shot a
very swift 20 degrees path into Cygnus.  A beautiful sight among the
thickness of the summer Milky Way.

There was also a mag -7 Iridium satellite flare.  It was well seen and
spectacular!!  So bright that it cast quite a glare in that part of the
sky.  There were numerous other satellites seen as well.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 26/27 2004
BEGIN: 0520 UT (0120 EDT)  END: 0735 UT (0335 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North  Elevation: 400 ft
City & Province: Bootland Farm, Arnprior, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		JBO (June Bootids)_____________________________14:56 +47
		TOP (Theta Ophiuchids)_________________________16:36 -11
		SAG (antihelions or Sagittarids)_______________19:20 -22
		TAQ (Tau Aquarids)_____________________________22:48 -12
		JLY (June Lyrids)______________________________18:44 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)_____________________________18:44 +55
		CET (Tau Cetids)_______________________________01:36 -12
		NPX (sporadics from north apex)________________00:20 +17
		SPX (sporadics from south apex)________________00:20 -13
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__LM___JBO_TOP_SAG_TAQ_JLY_XDR_CET_NPX_SPX_SPO

0520-0621__1614+33__1.01__6.38__0___0___0___0___0___0___/___0___/___6
0621-0735__1717+33__1.16__6.27__0___0___2___0___1___0___0___2___0___12

TOTALS:_____________2.17________0___0___2___0___1___0___/___2___/___18
= 23

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked eye limiting
magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___2___1___2___5___9___1_____+3.05
SAG___0___0___0___1___1___0_____+3.50
JLY___0___0___0___1___0___0_____+3.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None (F = 1.00)

Dead time: 4.66 min. (1.33 min for plotting)

Breaks (UT): 5:24(20sec), 6:32-6:35