(meteorobs) Fireball over the UK [26 June 2004 23:58 GMT]

Rob Lowton (via Lew Gramer) rob_lowtonx at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:09:32 EDT 2004

Hi there, my co-ordinates are 53.334431N, -1.989524 and im 210m ASL.
on the night of the 26th June, at 23:58 (GMT time) I was in the garden
observing Ursa Major, I turned to look NorthEastwards and there was this
green fireball "flying" across the sky.
I saw it for a few seconds before it disappeared behind a neighbours house,
I didnt hear a sonic boom or see any smoke-trail.
The meteor itself was about the size of my fist (at arms length) so it was a
pretty big piece I saw, It was light-green, with white streaks around it.
Ive heard that at the general time, a Rocket Motor from a Russian satellite
was seen burning up over N.America, do you think I might have witnessed
this, or a remnant of the motor, or was it something else.
I know quite a bit about space, as I like to do astronomy, but what struck
me was the size of the object, im just not sure if the times of the American
sightings, co-incide with mine.
If you could help thatd be grea, unfortunately I didnt have my camera on me
(even if I did I doubt I would have captured it in time anyway), so far I
think im the only person in the UK to have seen it, as noone else has
reported it.

Thank You

Rob_Lowtonx at hotmail.com