Meteorobs is NOT just a Yahoo! Group (was Re: (meteorobs) Sacramento Fireball 04:12 PDT May 5)

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Tue May 11 13:30:23 EDT 2004

FYI, Wayne is talking about the Yahoo! Group called
“meteorobs” - which was originally established only
as a backup “Web archive” for the actual ‘meteorobs’
list, but which 173 of you now seem to be subscribed
to! Just a short note about that Yahoo! Group: it is
NOT the same as the actual “meteorobs” list - which
is a maillist I administer, that is entirely distinct
from Yahoo!, or any other corporate Website.

Here is the Website of this “true” ‘meteorobs’ list:
 http://www.meteorobs.org

In fact, there are about 600 of you who subscribe to
the (true) “meteorobs” list, and who are probably not
on Yahoo! Groups at all!

However, those who chose to subscribe to the Yahoo!
Group instead of our list, MAY still receive all of
our ‘meteorobs’ posts. And in addition, if you don’t
mind giving your personal information to a company
that survives by focused advertising based on that
personal information, then you can also access the
Pictures section of Yahoo! Group “meteorobs” at:

I would love to make the Pictures (and all the other
sections) of the Yahoo! Group “meteorobs” open to the
world... But unfortunately, when Yahoo purchased the
old OneList service, they transformed my OneList list
“meteorobs” into this Yahoo! Group - and apparently
then forgot to give me admin control of it... I have
emailed Yahoo! customer service repeatedly over the
years, attempting to rectify this - with no success.

I found the experience very much like talking to an
an answering machine - which no one ever checks. :)

Clear skies all,

Lew Gramer, the REAL owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org
Webmaster: http://www.meteorobs.org