(meteorobs) Modest Mexican Fireball

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri May 21 01:33:25 EDT 2004

Yes, it was miodest, but my first obsevation ever, and the excitement still
hasn't worn off!  As I couldn't get the IMO form to work I am posting it here
in hopes that someone else can submit it for me.  Thanks.  Doug

DATE, TIME AND LOCATION 2004-05-18
Date of the fireball:  (year), (month),  (day)

Time:  (hour),  (minutes),  (seconds)

23:02 CDT (GMT-5)

Location (town, country): Santa Caterina, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

If possible provide coordinates from a topographic map
Longitude: 100°33'30" W
Latitude: 25°41'30" N

--

FIREBALL PARAMETERS

Apparent path:

earth-based coordinates:
(North=360°, East=90° ...)
Beginning point elevation (40°)   Beginning point azimuth (280°)
Ending point elevation (20°)   Ending point azimuth (240°)

or relative to stars
Trail position relative to stars:  Radiated from Cancer
Apparent angle to horizontal:  35°

Apparent magnitude:  minus 5

Duration:  5 full seconds
Color(s):  reddish orange
Trail:  no
Fragmentation:  no
Persistent Train:  no

Angular Velocity: 7°/s or  Scale:  medium (though the slowest I have ever
observed)

Sound:  none heard

Observer's name: Douglas Dawn
Address:  MexicoDoug at aol.com
PLEASE, DON'T FORGET YOUR E-MAIL!

Was wrapping up after observing Comet 2001 Q4 NEAT, nicely in a sky with a
limiting magnitude of about 4, where the comet was about this magnitude, though
not quite visible to the naked eye.  As I sketched the star field around the
comet and made the last double checking a beautiful fireball moving quite slow
by meteoric standards streaked across the sky from eith Cancer or just below,
and appeared as a bright oval reddish orange ellipse with a diameter about
twice long as fat and the long diameter about 0.1 or 0.2 degrees in length.
Unfortunately the observation point was at the intersection of the
Monterrey-Saltillo highway with the more western of the two routes to Garcia, and many
trailer trucks passed by, thus it is possible there was a sound (over the continuous
noise pollution) which was not heard over their ruckus.