(meteorobs) Arkansas fireball

Terry Johnson tenacious at cyberback.com
Fri May 21 02:14:24 EDT 2004

Tuesday night my wife and I were witnesses of a wonderous event.  It
wasn't the brightest fireball I've ever seen, but it was by FAR the most
spectacular.  I've submitted a fireball report, as have some other members
of my local astronomy club.  If anyone can give me any additional details
of reports, I'd love to hear them.

We were approximately 60 miles north-northeast of Little Rock at 9:54pm
Central time.  I was driving my car following my wife home.  We were
fortunately headed south going uphill--which gave us a perfect view of the
whole event.  A bright, baby blue glow lit up the trees to my right and I
immediately knew there was a fireball somewhere.  It came overhead and
washed out the rest of the sky with its -9 or -10 brightness.  The
velocity (in degrees/second) actually seemed to increase as it traveled.
It originated from the north-northwest, and its direction was almost due
south.  At an angle of about 40 deg. to the ground, the color rapidly
changed to a bright yellow and then to light red.  Then it fragmented and
dimmed to almost nothing.  As it reached 25 deg. altitude, it flashed into
a bright yellow terminal burst perhaps -12 or brighter.

Just gorgeous!  I've never seen one that colorful before.

I was quite interested in a friend's report of a 3-second sonic boom!  I
figured with a flash that bright there would probably be sound sound, so I
rushed home and jumped out of the car to hear it--which I never did.  He
says he heard it only 1 minute after the flash which would mean it was
fairly close (~12 miles).  This would put it well within our inner
atmosphere and should mean a scattering of meteorites.  Now if we can only
find someone from OK or TX and someone from MS to accurately let us
triangulate...   :o)   Just wishful thinking.

--Terry Johnson
Greenbrier, AR
35.27N, 92.24W