(meteorobs) Meteorite origins?

David Entwistle david at d-entwistle.fsnet.co.uk
Sat May 29 11:21:12 EDT 2004

Apologies if this message appears twice, I appear to be experiencing
email problems...

I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture, "Meteorites: The pauper's
space probe" given by Dr Sara Russell of the Natural History Museum.
This was part of the University of Central Lancashire, Jeremiah Horrocks
memorial lecture series.

http://www.transit-of-venus.org.uk/lecture_series.htm

Very interesting stuff and I got to see some meteorites, which was a
first for me.

Dr Russell described the probable origin of meteorites and the split, in
order of quantity, was between material originating from asteroids, the
Moon and Mars. Material of cometary origin didn't get a mention.

Given that the majority(?) of meteor showers are associated with comets,
is this assertion correct, and if so, is this thought to be because
comets are largely composed of volatile material - which seldom survives
atmospheric entry?
--
David Entwistle