(meteorobs) FW: Cometary meteorites!

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon May 31 13:37:02 EDT 2004

----------
From: Ed Majden <epmajden at shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:10:12 -0700
To: METEOROBS <meteorobs at atmob.org>
Subject: Cometary meteorites!

 I also found the discussion interesting.  One thing that I find troublesome
is the general high velocity of Comets near the earth.  Are there any short
period comets with low velocities?  The Geminids are thought to be of
asteroidal origin but I have seen some discussion that this may be a comet
core instead of an asteroid.  The Geminid meteoroids seem to be more solid
objects rather than the more friable  cometary types. Of course there is
also Tunguska! Tagish Lake seems to be in a league of its own.  By the way,
more than a few grams of Tagish Lake was recovered.  Unfortunately much of
it ended up on the lake bottom after the thaw.  I have a tiny sample of
Tagish in my small collection of meteorites.
Cheers:
Ed