(meteorobs) Fireball report 8th Nov 04

belatrix belatrix at ozemail.com.au
Tue Nov 9 01:32:46 EST 2004

Hi All
While out observing/photographing tail end of yesterdays aurora display
at a reasonably dark site, myself and a friend saw a very bright meteor
or space junk re-entry. I had my back to it as it happened overhead and
behind me, but it ended in two terminal bursts that lit up the ground
around me like a very,very bright full moon would, twice, about a .5
second apart, allowing me to turn and see the second terminal flash
finishing. They were so bright, it ruined my night vision similar to
what a camera flash would!
My co-observer saw more of it, as she was looking more that way at the
time, and noted a mid too slow speed 'orange' trail of about at least
ten degrees prior to the terminal flashes. It was seen coming from high
in the south, coming from a S/W direction, finishing in the high east,
in Eridanus . Time of sighting was roughly around 11 PM local time 8th
nov (12:30 UT 8th nov 2004) Location was roughly around 139 east 34.5
south. The seeing was average at the time as well.

Also tried to catch some of the early Leonids in the morning hours, in
two half hour very casual sessions from back yard back in town, saw
nothing at all.

Cheers
Kearn Jones
Adelaide.