(meteorobs) Leonid from eastern France

Karl Antier kantier at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 9 13:45:00 EST 2004

Hello all !

The sky cleared up at 21h 20 UT last night ( 8-9/11 ), and it stood nearly clear until 23h 27 UT. But no Leonid was observed under the partly covered sky  ( lm = 5.5 in the holes, really worse under the haze and strato-cumulus ). Just one Taurid and two sporadics in a little bit less than half an hour ( 24 min exactly ). After that time, the sky really covered, and we could just observe in holes in clouds, but the sky was to covered to make a valuable session. But no Leonid appear until 1h UT.
The first meteor we spot ( it isn't included in the session ) was a nice -0.5 earthgrazer coming from the east ( the direction of the radiant ), with a speed of 15°/s and letting a 1s train. I first thought it was a Leonid, but it then seemed to me that its speed was too low to be a real one. Anyway, it made us dream of a nice fantastic display, that didn't occur, unfortunately...

We observed in north Strasbourg.
I'll send a better report form if needed, but just got 24' of Teff... and partly clouded...

Clear skies !
Karl