(meteorobs) nov.8,9,10 observations

Meerlycatt508 at aol.com Meerlycatt508 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 21:43:01 EST 2004

Hi, here is what I saw each day of observing.
Being inexperienced as to how to report officially I looked up my
location. It's listed as Latitude: 41.7518
                                    Longitude: -70.846
Rochester Massachusetts
  Nov.8  observed  11:45PM - 1:00AM Nov.9
         results = not a darn thing
  Nov.10  3AM - 3:20AM
         Results = 7 meteors.   All while looking straight up and they
   came from all directions.  All had long trails.  All not very bright...as
   if drawn on a black board and slightly erased. All were fast.
   2 of the 7 were  together, but not on the same line, one a bit behind,
   definately distinguishable as two.
   They were not very bright...the same as the others.  These two were almost
exactly east to west, directly overhead.
  Nov. 10  6PM - 6:30 PM
    Results= As I was about to go into the house my dog decided he wanted
out.  I let him out, looked at the beautiful sky while he wandered about for 45
seconds.  It was far too cold for him, so he rushed up the stairs...shivering.
I let him in, stepped inside, turned to shut the door and saw a meteor  about
30 degrees above the southern horizon.   I watched it descend until it went
behind the tree line.  It was very very bright, had a trail, and it was fairly
close by.  I believe it impacted - possibly in the Acushnet/New Bedford/
Dartmouth area.  New Bedford and Dartmouth are right on the coast, so it may have
gone into the ocean.
   Luckily, I live in an area where light pollution is usually not a problem.
Nov. 8th saw a beautiful Aurora Borealis.  And just at sunset a cloud just
over the area  (with blue sky around) became very dark and suddenly looked as if
it had been painted underneath with BRIGHT coral.  As a result, the lake
across from me looked as if it was a lake of lavendar water.  I can't afford to
buy a camera right now, but that sight is stored in my mind.
Clear skies tonight...going out again later.  You just never know what you
may see.
 --- jaye