(meteorobs) LEO 1333 trail observation Nov 19 from California

Michael Linnolt mlinnolt at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 19 16:36:01 EST 2004

I attempted an observation as near as possible to the 1333 trail peak time of Nov 19 0642UT. Since the radiant here didn't rise until around 11:20pm local time, I decided to observe as early as possible, and began my sessions just 43min after the predicted peak. Unfortunately, while the upper atmosphere was nice and clear over the state, the local conditions of low clouds and fog became progressively worse as the night wore on. It was nice in the evening,
but as the radiant rise time approached, it began to deteriorate. My periods conditions got worse from 11:25pm until midnight local, to the point I had to just give up. The conditions were very difficult because of the rapidly changing LM and size of the holes in the low clouds. I did my best to estimate the average LM and F-factors. I saw just 4 meteors, 3 of them were faint LEO's. Considering the bad conditions and very low radiant, I was very pleased to see anything! But, from this I can conclude there was some significant 1333 trail activity shortly after the predicted time.

Clear skies!
Mike Linnolt

REPORT FOLLOWS:
------------------------------
OBS: Mike Linnolt (LINMI)
DATE: Nov 19, 2004
TIME: 0725 - 0800 UT
LOC: San Francisco, CA (37° 45' N, 122° 29m W)
ELEV: 50m
Conditions: Fog and low clouds. Temp 55F. RH 90%. Winds light.
METHOD: Paper

Observing Periods Summary:
==========================

# Period(UT) FOV   Teff  F   LM   LEO  AMO  ANT  SPO
  ---------- ---   ----  -   ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
1 0725-0740    *   0.25 1.50 4.1   2    0    0    1
1 0742-0751    *   0.15 1.80 3.0   1    0    0    0
1 0754-0800    *   0.10 1.60 3.6   0    0    0    0

*Note: FOV varied to avoid clouds.

Periods Detail:
===============

Period #1: