(meteorobs) Casual Leonids from Oregon, Nov. 19/20

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Sat Nov 20 14:02:46 EST 2004

I wanted to include an hour of meteor counting with my telescopic observing this morning, but I got up later than I planned.  As I was observing, I only noticed one Taurid while looking up from the telescope.  Curiosity got the better of me, and I did a casual watch to see if anything was going on.  I started at 4:03am PST (12:03 UT).  The first five or six minutes were barren, but before I got disgusted I started seeing the occasional meteor.  In 30 minutes ending at 12:33 UT, I saw 6 Leonids and 6 sporadics in skies that were LM 6.7-6.8.  Average Leonid magnitude was 3.0, with the brightest being a +1.

So, Leonids were still fairly active this morning.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR