(meteorobs) Observations from Oregon, Nov. 20/21

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Sun Nov 21 14:00:28 EST 2004

I did a one-hour meteor session this morning.  I had seen a couple of Leonids when looking up from viewing other objects through my telescope, so I wanted to see what was going on.  Only 3 Leonids appeared.  North Taurids kicked in a surprising 4 meteors, and sporadic activity was pretty good.  Alpha Monocerotids were conspicuously absent.  The highlight of the session was a +1 Zeta Puppid earthgrazer that shot long (~40 degrees) and fairly low along the horizon from SW to W.  The radiant elevation at the time was only about 4 degrees.

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting: Watch/Tape recorder
Date: 2004 November 20/21

Interval UT   Teff     F     LM   STA  NTA  AMO  zPu*  LEO  Spo**
1157-1258     1.00   1.00   6.9    0    4    0    1     3    13

*zPu = Zeta Puppids; radiant 8:12, -43

**Spo includes 2 Northern Apex meteors.

Magnitude Distribution:

       0   1   2   3   4   5   Total (Mean)
NTA    -   -   1   2   1   -     4    (3.0)
zPU    -   1   -   -   -   -     1    (1.0)
LEO    -   -   1   1   1   -     3    (3.0)
Spo    -   1   3   4   4   1    13    (3.0)

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR