(meteorobs) Binocular meteors

belatrix belatrix at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 25 21:19:48 EST 2004

Greetings All
Just a footnote to leonids, whilst out attempting to observe Leonids,
as previously mentioned, we also were observing the two bright comets,
Machholz and LINEAR. We did two mornings from a dark sky location, 17th
nov (16th UT) and 20th (19th UT). On both occasions we noticed an
amazing amount of faint meteors shooting through the binocular views,
while it is very normal too see a lot of faint meteors shoot through
the field of view, this would of easily been double the usual amount we
would see. It seemed we couldnt put the binos to our eyes and look up,
without instantly getting one zip through.
  And the rates were no different in the smaller binos (8x56) than the
large binos (25x100) As for directions of source, some could of been
Leonids, really wasnt thinking about it at the time, but certainly some
could definitely of been.
I was just wondering what the radar and radio monitored rates were for
leonids out there this year? Anything unusual? havent yet seen any
reports of these methods of observation. Just curious.
Cheers
Kearn
Adelaide
Australia